Who knew that air fryer croutons could be so delicious? I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first. But, after trying them for myself, I am now a convert! I no longer buy the store croutons. These homemade crispy little bites are the perfect addition to any dip, salad, or soup. And, best of all, they are super easy to make.
How to make Air Fryer Croutons
Just toss some cubed bread in your air fryer with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, seasoning and herbs. Then, let the air fryer do its magic! In just minutes, you will have perfectly crispy air fryer croutons that will transform your meal from ordinary to extraordinary. Bon appetite! I love that the croutons are fully customizable with the flavor of your choice. I seasoned mine with garlic, butter, and herbs.
- Bread of your choice. I chose fresh French bread for this recipe.
- Butter (or oil, such as Olive oil or Avocado oil).
- Favorite seasoning. I chose Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
For detailed instructions please refer to the recipe card below.
- Cut the bread into a small cube shape and put it into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add melted butter, and seasoning mix together.
- Now pour the seasoning onto the bread cubes and toss them so the seasoning stick with each bread piece evenly.
- Its time to preheat the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F( 180°C)
- Place the bread cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook them until they turn into a crispy and brownish color.
- Enjoy them with chipotle sauce, salads, or soups.
What bread to use for air-fried croutons?
When it comes to making homemade croutons, the bread you use is important. While you can technically use any type of bread, some breads are better than others. For example, a dense loaf of Italian bread will yield chewy croutons, while a light and airy baguette will result in crispy croutons. If you’re looking for something in between, sourdough or whole wheat bread is a good option. Just make sure that the bread is fresh – stale bread will not make good croutons. So when you’re at the store, be sure to grab a fresh loaf of bread for your crouton-making needs.
For this recipe, I used French baguette. Previously, I have also made croutons from sourdough, pumpernickel, rye, and regular white bread. I found that any bread with great flavor will work for making homemade croutons.
Will Air fryer croutons break my teeth?
Some people think that homemade croutons will be hard on their teeth. Maybe it is true for some reason. In the past, I’ve bought a big pack of croutons from BJ’s (Barkley and Jensen brand), and I felt the hardness in my teeth. So I decided to make the croutons at home in the air fryer, and they turned out crispy, and crunchy, and bite with ease.
How long do homemade croutons last?
Homemade croutons are the best! They’re so much tastier than the store-bought kind, and they last forever. Well, maybe not forever, but they definitely last longer than store-bought croutons. I made this batch and at the time of updating this recipe, it has been 6 months, and still as good as fresh. Crunchy, crispy, buttery, easy to bite.
Of course, your mileage may vary. The shelf life of homemade croutons depends on how well you store them. If you keep them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place, they can last for months. But if you leave them out on the countertop, they’ll only last a few days.
So if you’re looking for croutons that will last, homemade is the way to go. Just be sure to store them properly and they’ll keep for ages.
How to store homemade air fryer croutons?
They can be stored in a zip lock bag or in an air-tight container. At room temperature. No need to put them in the refrigerator or freezer.
Should I use oil or butter for homemade air-fried croutons?
I tried both, using avocado oil (or olive oil) and butter. Both work great, salted and unsalted butter. It’s a matter of taste preference. I loved both and didn’t taste much difference. Although the croutons that are made with butter seasoning tasted more delicate.
Can I add Parmesan cheese to my croutons?
Yes, adding Parmesan to the croutons will taste wonderful. I love to add garlic powder, dried thyme, and oregano. Divine!
Are croutons stale?
Once prepared and air fried they remain fresh far longer than unprepared bread.
Ways to Enjoy Homemade Air Fryer Croutons
- Salads: You can enjoy air fryer croutons with your favorite salad, like Caesar salad.
- Soups: Enjoy the air fryer croutons with your favorite soup. I love to add them to my homemade gourmet french onion soup.
- Dips: You can also eat the croutons with any of your favorite dips. I enjoy them with my homemade chipotle mayo sauce.
- Air fryer croutons can be enjoyed at any time. Whenever you feel hungry or want to snack on something just put some croutons in a bowl and top with some mozzarella and cottage cheese on top. Microwave for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and enjoy!
- 4 slices of bread. Or half a loaf of French bread, cut into the desired crouton shape
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, unsalted. Or 3 tablespoons Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice. I used Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Whisk herbs and seasoning into the melted butter (or oil) and drizzle over bread cubes. Toss the butter mixture with bread cubes until evenly coated and well-combined.
- Place the seasoned bread cubes in a single layer onto the air fryer basket/tray
- Air fry (air crisp) mode for 5 minutes, turning once halfway in order to brown all sides of croutons. Or until bread is toasted but not burned.
- Taste and serve right away. Over a favorite salad. Or dip the crouton in the homemade Chipotle sauce.
If you have any left-over croutons, store them in a ziplock bag or an air-tight container. On a countertop. No need to put them in the refrigerator or freezer. They stay crispy and fresh for 2-3 weeks.