Who knew that air fryer croutons are so easy to make and turn out perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside? After trying croutons in the air fryer, I am now a convert! I no longer buy the store croutons. There's no better way to make them crisp and delicious than in an air fryer. These homemade golden crispy little bites are perfect for any dip, salad, or soup.
Homemade Air Fryer Croutons
If you're tired of using store-bought croutons in your salads and soups, why not try making your own with an air fryer? Not only will you be able to achieve the perfect crunch, but you can also customize them to your liking. My other favorite crispy hacks are Air Fryer French Bread Pizza, Grilled Hot Dog Melt, and Air Fryer Grilled Caprese.
Toss some cubed bread in your air fryer with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, seasoning, and herbs. Then, let the air fryer do its magic! In just minutes, you will have perfectly crispy croutons that are much healthier compared to traditional frying methods, as there's no need for excess oil. I love that the croutons are fully customizable with the flavor of your choice. I seasoned mine with garlic, butter, and herbs.
- Bread of choice. I chose fresh French bread for this recipe.
- Butter (or oil, such as Olive oil or Avocado oil).
- Favorite seasoning. I chose Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
For detailed ingredients + instructions please refer to the recipe card below.
- Cut the bread into small cubes (about 1-inch squares) and put them into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add melted butter and seasoning. Mix together.
- Now pour the seasoning over the bread cubes and toss them well to combine; so the seasoning sticks to each bread piece evenly.
- It's time to preheat the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F( 180°C).
- Place the bread cubes in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook them until they turn crispy and brownish in color.
- Enjoy them with salads, or soups. Or try dipping them in homemade Chipotle sauce.
What bread is best for Homemade croutons?
While you can technically use any type of bread, some bread is better than others. For example, a dense loaf of Italian bread will yield chewy croutons, while a light and airy baguette will result in crispy croutons.
If you're looking for something in between, sourdough or whole wheat bread is a good option. Just ensure the bread is fresh - stale bread will not make good croutons.
For this recipe, I used French baguette. Previously, I have also made croutons from sourdough, pumpernickel, rye, and regular white bread. I found that any bread with great flavor will work for making homemade croutons.
Are Homemade croutons too hard?
Some people think that homemade croutons could be hard on their teeth. Maybe it is true for some reason. In the past, I've bought a big pack of croutons from BJ's, and I felt they were a little hard on my teeth. So I decided to make the croutons at home in the air fryer, and they turned out crispy and crunchy; while chewy inside. I bite them with ease.
How long do homemade croutons last?
The shelf life of homemade croutons depends on how you store them. They should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature in order to preserve their crunchiness and prevent moisture from compromising their freshness.
Remember that homemade croutons do not contain preservatives, so their shelf life may be shorter than store-bought varieties.
The croutons that I made from French bread lasted me about 3 months and were still as good as new when I finished the last piece.
How to store them?
They can be stored in a zip lock bag or in an air-tight container. At room temperature. No need to put them in the refrigerator or freezer.
Should I use oil or butter?
I tried both, using avocado oil (or olive oil) and butter. Both work great, salted and unsalted butter. It’s a matter of taste preference. I loved both and didn’t taste much difference. Although the croutons that are made with butter seasoning tasted more delicate.
Can I add Parmesan to my croutons?
Yes! Adding grated Parmesan cheese to the croutons is a wonderful idea and the will taste amazing. I also love to add garlic powder, dried thyme, and oregano. Divine!
Are croutons stale?
Once prepared and air-fried they remain fresh far longer than unprepared bread.
May I recommend Serving them with
- Salads: You can enjoy air fryer croutons with your favorite salad, like Caesar salad.
- Soups: I love to add them to my homemade gourmet french onion soup.
- Dips: You can also eat the croutons with any of your favorite dips. I love dipping them in this homemade chipotle mayo sauce.
Other Crispy Air Fryer Snacks You'll Love.
Homemade Air Fryer Croutons with Garlic and Herbs
- 4 slices of bread. Or half a loaf of French bread cut into the desired crouton shape
- 3 tablespoons melted butter unsalted. Or 3 tablespoons Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice. I used Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Whisk herbs and seasoning into the melted butter (or oil) and drizzle over bread cubes. Toss the butter mixture with bread cubes until evenly coated and well-combined.
- Place the seasoned bread cubes in a single layer onto the air fryer basket/tray
- Air fry (air crisp) mode for 5 minutes, turning once halfway in order to brown all sides of croutons. Or until bread is toasted but not burned.
- Taste and serve right away. Over a favorite salad. Or dip the crouton in this Homemade Chipotle sauce dip.