These Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Chicken bites are my new favorite way to make chicken in the air fryer. I love how bacon gets so crispy on the outside while keeping the chicken tender and juicy. Chicken breasts are cut into bite-size pieces, seasoned with spices, then wrapped in bacon and air fried until fully caramelized and the bacon is crispy and beautifully browned.
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
I love how air fryer has revolutionized the chicken game, and chicken has never tasted better. I adore chicken in the air fryer in any shape or form - from chicken wings, and drumsticks to a Whole chicken, it always cooks fast with a juicy tender interior and crispy skin. There's no better way to make them crisp and delicious than in an air fryer.
Chicken breast may seem like a basic protein choice, but the addition of crispy, salty bacon takes this meal to the next level. Not only does the bacon add a layer of delicious flavor, but it also serves to protect the chicken and keep it juicy during cooking.
Wrapping your chicken in bacon is an easy way to elevate your dinner party or weeknight meal. My other favorite jazzed-up chicken breast dishes in the air fryer are Mayo Coated Fried Chicken, Cornflake Chicken, and Crispy Chicken Nuggets.
What Chicken Meat is Best for Wrapping in Bacon?
When it comes to air fryer chicken bites, skinless, boneless chicken breast is the way to go. Not only is it easy to prepare and cook to perfection in an air fryer, but it also results in juicy, tender pieces of chicken that are perfectly crispy on the outside.
Using dark meat is a great option for those who prefer dark chicken meat. You can absolutely use boneless skinless Chicken thighs for bacon-wrapped chicken bites. Just cut the thighs into bite-sized pieces, season them with your favorite spices, and proceed with the instructions as per the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Bacon-wrapped Chicken Bites in the Air Fryer
Prep the Chicken and Bacon. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, about one inch thick in size and two or three-inch in length. You can use chicken tenderloins since they are already precut and most of the time have the right size that we’re looking for.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder to season my chicken. Cut bacon slices in half and wrap each chicken bite with a piece of bacon, securing with a toothpick, if needed.
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F. This only takes a few minutes, so be sure you have bacon-wrapped chicken bites ready to be cooked once the fryer is heated.
Cook the chicken. Place the bacon-wrapped chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Don't overcrowd the basket, as this will prevent proper air circulation. Cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through or until the bacon is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
Pro tip: To make sure the chicken is cooked, insert an instant-read thermometer into the center of the chicken piece. It should read 165F.
May I recommend Serving Crispy Bacon Chicken With:
Pair them with a refreshing Creamy Cucumber Radish salad.
Chicken bites with bacon can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes. But fresh is best.
If you want to add some extra flavor, marinate the chicken for a few hours before seasoning and wrapping it with bacon.
For best results use thin-cut bacon or regular-cut bacon. Thick bacon may take much longer to cook and may not crisp up as nicely in the air fryer.
Flipping matters. Don't forget to turn the chicken bites halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking and crispy bacon on all sides.
Why make bacon-wrapped chicken in the air fryer?
An air fryer is perfect for making bacon-wrapped chicken. The air fryer circulates hot air around the food, cooking it evenly and in half the time as a traditional oven. This is ideal for chicken breast, which can dry out easily when cooked in the oven. The bacon also gets crispy and delicious in the air fryer, making it a perfect complement to the juicy chicken. Plus, cleanup is a breeze with an air fryer - there's no need to deal with splatters of grease on the oven or stovetop.
What else can I wrap in bacon?
Bacon is delicious wrapped around just about anything. Meats, vegetables, and even fruits can benefit from a bacon blanket.
For an added savory touch, try wrapping bacon around grilled or roasted veggies like asparagus.
Bacon wrapped avocado is the combination of crispy bacon and rich, creamy avocado making for a heavenly bite that will have your guests asking for more.
For a fun and unique flavor combination, try wrapping bacon around sweet fruits like pineapple. The saltiness of the bacon offsets the sweetness of the fruit for a delightful treat.
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless. Cut into even bite-size strips. Approximately 1 inch thick. And 2 or 3 inches in length. Can also use chicken tenderloins.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 6 slices bacon Use regular thin-cut bacon
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 TBS chopped Parsley optional. For garnishing
- In a medium bowl, add chicken pieces, coat with oil and spices, rub the chicken well and mix them all together until combined and fully rubbed. Feel free to add spices and seasoning of your choice.Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F/200C. If you don't have the preheat option, simply run it empty for 3 minutes.
- Wrap each chicken piece with half a strip of bacon. Usually, half a strip of bacon is good enough for a small chicken piece. If not long enough, extend the bacon strip, until the chicken piece is fully covered with bacon.Use toothpicks to secure the bacon to the chicken meat, if needed.
- Place bacon-wrapped chicken breasts directly onto the air fryer basket or tray. Give them a little space. Do not overlap. If you have a small air fryer, you may need to cook in batches of 6-8 chicken pieces.
- Air fryer mode at 400F/200C for 10-12 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway. Or until bacon is fully cooked, beautifully browned and crispy.Usually, the air fryer times and temps are pretty accurate. But if you’re unsure, please use the meat thermometer until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165F/73C. I use. Or cook the chicken until the desired doneness.