Are you on the hunt for a cheesy and spicy snack that's easy to make? Look no further than this Air fryer Jalapeno Melt! This crispy grilled cheese sandwich is made with just a few ingredients and can be whipped up in no time. The best part? It's open-faced, meaning you can relish in every gooey, cheesy bite.
I'm obsessed with making open-faced sandwiches in my air fryer. I love the way the cheese gets all melted and bubbly on top of the bread and it’s so easy to make. Just throw some bread and your favorite toppings in the air fryer, and within minutes, you've got a delicious and crispy melt that's perfect for any time of day. Some of my other favorite air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches are Air Fryer Tomato Melt, Air Fryer grilled Cheesesteak, and a Hot Dog Melt.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Jalapeno Grilled Cheese
Grab an air fryer, two slices of bread, mayo or cream cheese, and sliced jalapenos, and let's get cooking!
First, let's start with the bread. It's best to choose a sturdy slice of bread such as sourdough or wheat. This will ensure that the bread will hold all the toppings without becoming too soggy. Spread a layer of mayo or cream cheese on top. This will add a tangy flavor to balance out the heat from the jalapenos.
Next, add a slice of cheese. Feel free to use your favorite slices, like Mozzarella, Havarti, Pepper Jack, Swiss or Cheddar. I’m using Provolone cheese. I love the way it melts and stretches over the surface of the bread.
Now it's time to add the star of the show: sliced jalapenos. Be sure to remove the seeds and membranes to reduce the spiciness. Arrange the sliced jalapenos (about 3mm thick) on top of the cheese layer, making sure to spread them out evenly. You don't want one bite to be too spicy while another has no heat at all. Please see the picture above). I use about 5 jalapeno slices per one toast.
Once the jalapenos are on, put the sandwich in the preheated air fryer, at 375F (190°C) and air fry for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese is melted, the bread has crispy edges, and the jalapenos are slightly charred. Keep an eye on it to ensure the bread doesn't become burnt.
Note: You can choose to put jalapeno slices under the cheese if you prefer. I add my jalapenos on top because I love how the air fryer cooks jalapenos to a slightly caramelized char, while it's cooking the sandwich.
It's time to dig in!
Cut into it and savor every bite. Enjoy the perfect balance of tangy mayo, gooey cheese, and spicy jalapenos. Serve it as a hearty snack or appetizer, and watch your guests rave about how delicious it is.
The gooey, melted cheese combined with the spicy kick of jalapenos is a flavor explosion that demands an equally delicious sauce. May I recommend my Homemade Blue cheese dressing, which provides a cool and creamy balance to the heat of the jalapenos? Or try it with a tangy Chipotle Sauce, perfect for dipping and spreading on your sandwich.
Change Things Up
Feel free to experiment with different toppings and variations. Add tuna salad under the cheese and your sandwich instantly becomes a Spicy Tuna Melt. The spicy tuna with jalapeno takes a classic Air Fryer Tuna Melt sandwich and kicks it up a notch with a fiery twist. It's the perfect combination of creamy and spicy, with the melted cheese encasing the flavorful tuna and slices of fresh jalapeno adding a zingy kick.
Try using different types of cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack, or adding some crispy bacon bits on top. Sometimes I love adding Air fryer Candied bacon or thinly sliced apples for a sweet and savory twist.
I hope you give this air fryer jalapeno melt a try. It is a quick and easy snack that's perfect for any spicy food lover.
More of my Favorite Jalapeno Snacks
Air Fryer Jalapeno Melt
- 2 pieces Bread I used wheat multigrain bread
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, large Cut into 2-3 mm thick slices.
- 1 tablespoon Mayo Or Cream cheese
- 2 slices Provolone cheese Or use your favorite slices, like Mozzarella, Havarti, Pepper Jack, Swiss or Cheddar
- ½ teaspoon Salt and pepper to taste salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning I used Italian seasonin
- Preheat your air fryer to 375F (190°C).Cut the Jalapenos into thin slices (about 3mm thick) and season them lightly with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, place the slices of bread on a cutting board and spread a thin layer of mayo (you can use cream cheese instead), and add a layer of cheese on top. I chose Provolone.
- Add the jalapeno slices on top of the cheese, sprinkle some basil or Italian seasoning (if desired), and place the sandwich into the preheated air fryer.
- Set your air fryer to 375°F and cook the sandwich for about five to six minutes, until the cheese is bubbly, the bread is crispy and the Jalapenos are gorgeously caramelized, softened and charred.You do not need to flip this sandwich halfway through. If you like your bread toasty, you can spread butter on the outside of the bread before placing it in the air fryer. The result is a delicious and healthy sandwich that is ready in under ten minutes!