Air fryer scallops are a quick and easy seafood dish with a delicate, slightly sweet flavor and a tender buttery texture. They have a deliciously appetizing top crust and only take a few minutes to cook in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Scallops
One of my favorite things to order at seafood restaurants is scallops. They always seem like such a luxurious meal, but they are actually quite easy to prepare at home. This air fryer scallops recipe with garlic herb butter is one of my go-to meals when I want something quick, easy, and impressive.
For best results, pat the scallops dry before cooking, coat them in a bit of oil, and do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Serve air-fried scallops with a simple salad or your favorite dipping sauce. It goes fantastic with homemade Chipotle sauce. My other favorite is Bacon-wrapped Scallops.
- Sea Scallops- rinsed and patted dry with paper towels.
- Oil- I recommend using canola or vegetable oil, but any oil with a high smoke point (or one that doesn’t burn up quickly)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Seasoning of choice- I used old bay seasoning for this recipe
- Garlic herb butter- this delicious addition to the scallops after cooking is a must!
- Lemon-squeeze of.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes. The machine that I'm using is Ninja XL 6-in-1.
- Rinse scallops and pat dry, then season with salt, pepper, oil, and seasoning of choice.
- Air fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Add some garlic herb butter on top, then enjoy!
When the scallops are finished cooking, the result is soft, delicate scallops with a gorgeous and delicious crust.
Scallops Serving Suggestions
Scallops are best served with a light and refreshing side dish. Pair it with a simple green salad, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or pasta. When pairing scallops with a side dish, avoiding anything too heavy or rich is important. By keeping things light and fresh, you can let the natural flavor of the scallops shine through.
How to Pick Fresh Scallops?
When shopping for scallops, it is important to choose fresh scallops that have a nice sheen to them. Avoid scallops that are dull in color or have a strong fishy smell. Scallops should also be firm to the touch and not at all mushy. Fresh scallops will keep in the fridge for up to two days.
Are Scallops Healthy?
Yes! Scallops are one of the healthiest seafood options. Made up of mostly protein and very low-fat content, scallops are a great low-carb choice to give you the necessary vitamins and minerals and allow you to feel fuller longer.
How to Store and Reheat Scallops
Scallops are very delicate and need to be stored properly in order to avoid them becoming tough and rubbery.
- Make sure the scallops are dry before storing them. Moisture will make them go bad more quickly. Pat them dry with a paper towel or clean dishcloth.
- Store uncooked scallops in a cool, airtight container. A plastic baggie or Tupperware works well.
- If you're not going to cook the scallops right away, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. Otherwise, they can be stored in the freezer for up to six months.
- Cooked scallops can be stored in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to two months.
- You can also reheat scallops in the oven or on the stovetop, but the air fryer is by far the quickest and easiest method. Reheat in the preheated air fryer at 400F/200C for 1-3 minutes to bring back their inner warmth.
Air Fryer Seafood Recipes
- 1 lb. large sea scallops, patted dry with paper towels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh Parsley, finely chopped.
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat air fryer to 400˚F. Season scallops with oil, salt, pepper, and bay seasoning on both sides.
- Place scallops in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure that they are not touching each other.
- Cook for 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- While scallops are cooking, make garlic herb butter. Melt butter, add minced garlic, parsley, and stir.
- Once scallops are ready, top with garlic herb butter, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Taste is heaven.
Scallops are best served with a light and refreshing side dish. Some good options include a simple green salad, roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes or pasta. When pairing scallops with a side dish, it is important to avoid anything too heavy or rich. Otherwise, the scallops will end up tasting bland and overdone. By keeping things light and fresh, you can let the natural flavor of the scallops shine through.