This Air Fryer Cabbage and Onions recipe is a quick and easy way to get the vegetable crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Enjoy the air-fried cabbage as a low-carb side dish or add it to eggrolls, steaks, cabbage pies, or soups!
Air fryer Cabbage and onions are so simple to make, and add the perfect crispy and caramelized touch to many dishes. I love how the sweetness of the onions balances out the slightly bitter cabbage. I like to use them as a stuffing for Air fryer Egg rolls or add them to Beet and Cabbage soup.
This recipe is not only delicious but also very healthy. Cabbage and onion are both low in calories and high in nutrients. Air frying them instead of sautéing or frying helps retain the nutrients and keeps the dish healthier. It’s also low-carb, vegetarian, and gluten-free. You may also like these Air Fryer Roasted Cabbage Steaks.
Air Fryer Cabbage Ingredients
Cabbage: The star of the show is finely shredded or grated cabbage brings a delicate yet robust flavor to the dish. Its slightly sweet and earthy notes harmonize perfectly with the caramelized onions.
Onions: Thinly sliced onions (I used Vidalia and red onion). The onions add a savory depth to the dish, enhancing its overall flavor profile. The combination of Vidalia and red onions brings a touch of sweetness and a hint of mild spiciness.
Oil: Choose your preferred cooking oil to provide moisture and aid in achieving the desired crispiness. A Tablespoon of Olive oil or avocado oil will work wonderfully, adding a subtle richness to the dish.
Seasoning: I used garlic powder, paprika, and a sprinkle of brown sugar for a touch of sweetness. You can also use dried herbs like thyme or parsley to infuse the cabbage and onions with additional layers of flavor.
Salt and pepper to taste: These essential seasonings bring balance and enhance the flavors of the dish.
How to make Roasted Cabbage in the Air Fryer
To make air fryer cabbage and onions, you will need half a head of cabbage chopped into thin strips and one large onion sliced into half rings. Preheat your air fryer to 390°F. In a large bowl, toss the chopped cabbage and sliced onion with olive oil. Add salt & pepper to taste, and a teaspoon of spices of your choice, such as garlic powder or paprika, and toss to combine. You may instead add a teaspoon of your favorite seasoning. I used Vegeta All-Purpose seasoning.
Once your air fryer is heated, add the cabbage and onion mixture to the basket and cook for 10-12 minutes. Toss the mixture halfway through to ensure even cooking. The cabbage and onion should be tender and slightly charred when done. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious flavors!
You can incorporate other low-carb vegetables into this dish.
- Bell peppers: Vibrant and crisp, bell peppers make an excellent addition to this dish. Slice them thinly and toss them in with the cabbage and onions for a burst of color and a slightly sweet flavor. My other favorite easy sides are these Air fryer Peppers and Onions and Air-fried Peppers and Mushrooms.
- Zucchini: With its mild and delicate flavor, zucchini lends itself well to the crispy and caramelized treatment in the air fryer. Slice it into thin rounds or strips and mix it in with the cabbage and onions. Zucchini adds a refreshing element and a hint of green goodness to the dish.
- Broccoli: For a touch of vibrant green and a nutritious boost, add broccoli florets to the mix. The air fryer will work its magic, creating tender florets with crispy edges. Adjust the cooking time to ensure that the broccoli remains crisp-tender, maintaining its vibrant color and nutrients.
When incorporating different vegetables, it's important to consider their cooking times and adjust accordingly to achieve the desired level of crispiness. However, the vegetables that I suggested here require similar cooking times as cabbage and onions.
Pro Tip: Overcrowding reduces the circulation of hot air around the food, resulting in unevenly cooked and potentially soggy dishes. To ensure that your food is evenly cooked and crispy on all sides, it's important to either cook in batches or invest in a larger air fryer (the one I use is Ninja XL 6-in-1). In short, resist the temptation to jam-pack your air fryer, and instead allow ample space for air to circulate for optimal results.
Are Cabbage and Onions Low in Carbohydrates?
If you're on a low-carb diet, it's important to know which vegetables to include in your meals. Cabbage and onions are two versatile and nutrient-rich veggies that can be added to many dishes. But are they low-carb? The good news is that both cabbage and onions are low in carbohydrates. One serving (75g) of our air-fried cabbage and onions has 5g of carbs. So, you can enjoy these tasty and healthy veggies guilt-free while sticking to your low-carb and keto lifestyle. Add them to soups, stews, salads, or stir-frys for a crunchy and flavorful addition to your meals.
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy cold or reheat for 2 minutes in the air fryer to crisp them up.
More Crispy Veggies in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Cabbage and Onions
- 2 cups shredded cabbage Approximately half a head of small finely chopped cabbage
- 1 Onion yellow, red, or Vidalia onions.
- 1 tablespoon Oil Use 1 Tablespoon of Avocado oil or Extra Virgin Olive oil.
- ¼ teaspoon Salt Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Seasoning of choice. I used half a teaspoon of Vegeta All-purpose seasoning.
- Finely chop half a head of cabbage into thin strips and one large onion sliced into half rings.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390°F. (195C)In a large bowl, toss the chopped cabbage and sliced onion with olive oil. Add salt & pepper to taste, and a teaspoon of spices of your choice, such as garlic powder or paprika, and toss to combine. You may instead add a teaspoon of your favorite seasoning. I used Vegeta All-Purpose seasoning.
- Once your air fryer is heated, add the cabbage and onion mixture to the basket and cook for 10-12 minutes. Toss the mixture halfway through to ensure even cooking. The cabbage and onion should be tender and slightly charred when done. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious flavors!