This Air fryer mushrooms and onions recipe is my new favorite way to cook the delicious side, quick and easy. I love how they get perfectly golden, and sauteed with crispy edges, and packed full of flavor.
How to Make Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions in the Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to make sauteed mushrooms and onions, an air fryer is the perfect kitchen appliance. I’m using Cuisinart Air Fryer Oven.
Slice: First, start by thinly slicing the mushrooms and onions.
Oil & season: Then, add a tablespoon and a half of olive oil to the sliced onions and mushrooms and stir, ensuring that all pieces are well coated. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a seasoning of choice and mix well. I used Vegeta all-purpose seasoning.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/ 200 degrees Celcius for 3 minutes.
Air fry: Next, add the mushrooms and onions to the basket and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they’re golden brown and tender.
Do Mushrooms and Onions shrink during cooking?
Everyone has probably had the experience of cooking a dish only to find that the mushrooms and onions have shrunk considerably.
This can be frustrating, especially if you were trying to stretch the dish to feed more people. So, what causes this shrinkage? Is there any way to prevent it?
Water Loss: The main reason why mushrooms and onions shrink when cooked is water loss. Both of these vegetables are made up of a high percentage of water. When they’re heated, that water begins to evaporate, causing the vegetables to shrivel up.
There are a few things you can do to minimize water loss and keep your mushrooms and onions from shrinking too much.
Do not overcook: Both of these vegetables cook relatively quickly, so it’s easy to get distracted and let them go for too long.
Cook them in a single layer. If you’re trying to air fry a large batch of mushrooms or onions all at once, they’re likely to steam instead of browning properly. This will cause even more water loss.
Add a little fat: whether it’s oil, butter, or bacon grease. This will help create a barrier between the heat and the vegetables, preventing too much evaporation from taking place.
Double the batch: And lastly, my favorite tip. Double or triple the recipe and cook in batches, ensuring that mushrooms and onions are in a single layer.
Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions Serving Suggestions
Serve over rice – This is a great way to make sauteed mushrooms and onions into a complete meal. Simply serve the dish over a bed of rice and enjoy.
Add to pasta – Another great way to turn this dish into a complete meal is to add it to pasta. The combination of mushrooms, onions, and pasta is sure to be a hit.
Mix with mashed potatoes or top baked potatoes.
As a topping for steaks, burgers or hot dogs. It makes for a great alternative to traditional toppings like ketchup or mustard.
As a filling for Mushrooms Puffs, made of puff pastry.
Wrap them in a soft tortilla with some shredded cheese. This makes for a great lunch or light dinner. You could also add some sour cream or salsa on top for extra flavor.
Enjoy as is, or with a piece of bread to soak up all the delicious juices.
Mushroom and Onions Recipes You’ll Love
- Mushrooms and Broccoli
- The Best Caramelized Sauteed Onions in the air fryer
- Air-fried Potatoes and Onions
- Mushrooms Pies with Puff Pastry
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced. Vidalia, sweet onion, yellow onion or red onion are my top choices.
- 1.5 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced. Or a teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of choice. I used Vegeta Gourmet all-purpose seasoning.
- Rinse and pat dry mushrooms. I prefer Baby Bella or Portobello mushrooms. Slice bellas in halves or thirds
- Cut onions to the preferred size.
- In a large bowl, mix sliced onions and mushrooms with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, garlic, seasoning and Worchestershire sauce.
- Next, add the mushrooms and onions to the basket and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they're golden brown and tender.
- Air fryer mode 400F/200C 10 minutes, stirring 2 times in between, to insure both mushrooms and onions cook evenly.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce or as a side dish. Enjoy!