Air fryer egg toast is a quick and easy way to enjoy your favorite breakfast sandwich without babysitting the stove. This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients, and it can be on the table in less than 10 minutes.
Easy Air Fryer Egg Toast
My daughter adores egg toast with a runny yolk. And I love making it for her because it is a healthy and convenient option that is perfect for busy mornings when I don't have a lot of time to spare but still want something hearty. It only takes minutes to air fry the toast with a perfectly cooked egg on top. There's nothing as satisfying as seeing that yolk break and seep into the air fryer egg toast when it's ready. Some of our favorite breakfast quickies are Air Fryer Omelette, Grilled Onion Melt, and Air Fryer Poached Eggs name a few.
Difference Between Egg Toast and Egg in a Hole
Egg toast and egg in a hole (also called egg in a basket and toad in a hole), are all popular breakfast items that feature eggs and bread as two main ingredients. However, there are a few key differences between these two dishes. Egg toast is made by topping a slice of bread with an egg that has been cooked in a variety of ways.
Egg in a hole, on the other hand, is made by cutting a hole in a slice of bread and then frying an egg inside of it. If you’re making an egg in a hole, then you would need to line the parchment paper under the bread to ensure the egg doesn't leak down through the air fryer basket.
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Seasoning of choice
How to Make Air Fryer Egg in a Toast
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°C). While it is preheating, prepare your bread.
2. Using the bottom of a mug (or glass), gently press into the center of the bread, to create a pocket. Be sure not to press all the way through the bread, or else the egg may leak down through the basket. (Picture 1).
3. Apply butter on both sides of the bread.
4. Crack one egg into each bread pocket. (Pictures 2 and 3).
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and any seasoning of choice. I used Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
6. Carefully place the slice of bread directly onto the air fryer basket/tray. Cook on air fry/air crisp setting in the preheated air fryer for 5-7 minutes, depending on how you like your yolks. (Picture 4).
Egg Cooking Times
I love my egg yolk runny, therefore 5-6 minutes of cooking time was perfect for my runny egg on toast.
If you prefer your egg yolk firmer, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Keep in mind that these cooking times may vary depending on the size and model of your air fryer. The model that I’m using is Cuisinart Air Fryer Oven.
With a little bit of practice, you'll be able to cook eggs perfectly in your air fryer every time.
What Bread to Use?
Toasting bread can be tricky - one minute you think it's just barely toasted, and the next it's a flaming mess.
For the Air Fryer Egg Toast try using hearty whole-grain bread. It has denser slices than its white counterparts, allowing them to take in more heat so that it will brown instead of burning.
Choose a loaf with a firm crust, such as sourdough or ciabatta for a crispy texture. If you prefer a softer texture, go for brioche or challah.
My personal favorite is Sourdough Sliced Bread from Trader Joe's; which doesn’t taste sourdough at all, in my opinion.
My daughter loves Nature’s Own Thick Sliced Brioche Style.
Other types of bread can also be used in an air fryer but since different types of bread have different cooking times, it's important to keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Using the appropriate type of bread and temperature will lead to perfectly cooked air fryer toast.
Bread Tip: Before putting the bread in the air fryer, be sure to spread butter on both sides, spray it lightly with cooking oil, or spread it with mayo.
How Many Toasts Can I Make in Air Fryer at Once?
Most air fryers can fit between four to six slices of toast at once. It also depends on the size of your fryer and the size of your bread slices.
I usually make 4 egg toasts in my Cuisinart Air Fryer Oven. There’s no need to increase the cooking temperature or timing. If you’re planning to cook 4 egg toasts at once, proceed with the same instructions above.
Just remember not to overcrowd your air fryer as it won't heat evenly that way.
More Breakfast Favorites
- Air Fryer Eggs - Set it and forget it game changers with no boiling water involved
- Air Fryer Frittata
- Easy Cheese Scones - Made in minutes in the air fryer
- How to Make Egg toast in Air Fryer (Video)
Air Fryer Egg Toast
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 egg
- 2 teaspoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Seasoning of choice.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (170°C). While it is preheating, begin preparing your bread.
- Using the bottom of a mug (or glass), gently press into the center of the bread, to create a pocket. Be sure not to press all the way through the bread, or else the egg may leak down through the air fryer.
- Apply butter on both sides of the bread.
- Crack one egg into each bread pocket.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and any seasoning of choice. I used Italian seasoning.
- Carefully place the slice of bread directly onto the air fryer basket/tray. Close the air fryer basket and cook for 5-7 minutes, depending on how you like your yolks.