This Keto Bagels recipe may be the best Low-carb Bagels recipe yet. It is delicious, chewy and it’s easy to make, with only 5 ingredients!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
If there’s one thing that people miss in keto low-carb diets, it’s bread. I know how hard it is to form new habits and find new favorites as a low-carb newbie. But with recipes like these low-carb bagels, Cloud bread, or low-carb pizza crust you won’t feel like missing out on anything. And with only 5 ingredients, it almost seems like a steal! Add the "Everything but the bagel seasoning" into the equation, and secure a place in bagel heaven.
There are many different versions to make low-carb keto bagels. But if you tried the fat head dough and made pizza crust out of it, you know what I’m talking about. I promise you that this fathead recipe will be a life saver, especially if you’re dealing with picky eaters. Take it from my friend who has a 12-year-old with Type 1 diabetes and found a new standard dish to cook on busy days.
“Fat Head Dough” Keto Low-Carb Bagels Recipe
The recipe makes 6 standard-sized bagels.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Use low-moisture part-skim shredded mozzarella.
- Cream cheese - Use full fat or low-fat cream cheese.
- Egg - Use large or extra-large egg.
- Almond flour - It needs to be superfine Almond flour. I like to use the Blue Diamond brand.
- Baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon spices such as dried oregano, basil, or garlic powder
- Everything but the bagel seasoning or seasoning of your choice
How to make Fathead Bagels
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave Mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl until soft (for about 40 seconds). If you don’t have a microwave, melting ingredients on the stovetop will work too.
- Add egg, almond flour, remaining ingredients, and spices. Stir and blend well using a spatula into a dough ball.
- Optional – you can proceed immediately, but for best results – let the mixture cool or freeze it for 30 minutes. Or else the dough may be sticky.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form a long log with each piece by rolling with your hands. Then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. You can also use a bagel/donut pan.
- Sprinkle “Everything but the bagel seasoning” over the bagels and gently press the crumbles into the dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the bagels are firm and golden.
- Serve fresh from the oven, sliced in half, and spread with cream cheese. Yummy!
How to Store Low-Carb Bagels
These low barb bagels recipe is best enjoyed warm and fresh. However, if you have any leftovers, freeze them immediately as soon as they’re cool. That’s because they tend to lose their fluffiness and deflate when stored in the fridge. If you’re freezing them, make sure to slice them ahead of time. Then, to reheat them, place them in the toaster or air fryer for 1 minute.
How to Serve Fathead Bagels Recipe
There are many ways to enjoy these puffy, fluffy bagels, with the most usual being buns and sandwiches. First, slice the bagel and toast it. Then, add cooked eggs, bacon, sausage, or ham; optionally, spinach, tomato, or avocado. And voilà! Your very own bagel breakfast sandwiches, perfect to enjoy with your favorite coffee in the morning.
You can even prepare them ahead of time and simply reheat them for 30 seconds. They’re also great with peanut or walnut butter, sugar-free jam, chocolate hazelnut spread, and of course, cream cheese. If you’re feeling extra, you can even enjoy them with some feta cheese.
Keto Low-carb Bagels Nutrition Information
Per one bagel it has approximately 220 calories, total fat 17g, total carbohydrate 4.6g, sugars 1g, protein 13.6g.
Variations for the Keto Bagels Recipe
1. If you have a nut allergy, you can substitute the almond flour for gluten-free baking flour, sunflower seed flour (meal), or CarbQuick baking mix. I’ve also seen recipes for baking the bagels with protein powder.
2. To season the bagels, you can try a mix of garlic powder and onion powder. Add ¼ teaspoon of each into the almond flour before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
3. For the topping, you can use poppy seeds, coarse salt, or sesame seeds instead of the “Everything but the bagel” seasoning.
4. If you have a sweet tooth, we also have a variation for you. Add a granulated sweetener equal to ¼ cup of sugar and ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon into the almond flour. Mix them before adding them to the rest of the mixture.
Try the Best Keto Low Carb Bagels Recipe!
This keto bagel recipe is deliciously chewy, soft, and flavorful for all the hours of the day. It can be life-saving, especially for breakfast, which can be the hardest meal of the day to stay low carb. With a fantastic bread texture to satisfy even the deepest cravings, you’ll have a hard time getting your hands off this beauty.
So I highly encourage you to try this easy low-carb bagels recipe today and let me know how it went in the comments below.
Other low-carb recipes you'll love:
- Fathead Burger Buns
- How to make Fat Heads pizza bites
- How to make a low carb mug bread in microwave in 90 seconds
- 1 and ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 3 TBS cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of combined spices: dried oregano, basil, garlic powder
- For topping:
- Everything but the bagel seasoning or seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Microwave Mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl until soft, about 40 seconds.
- Add egg, Almond flour, remaining ingredients and spices and stir and blend well using a spatula into a dough ball.
- Optional - you can proceed right away but for best results - let the mixture cool or freeze it for 30 minutes or else the dough may be sticky
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form a long log with each piece by rolling with your hands, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. You can use the bagel/donut pan if you have it. I didn't have the pan, so rolling by hand and forming the dough into a circle works just fine. (see photo below)
- Sprinkle "Everything but the bagel seasoning" over the bagels and gently press into the dough. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.
- Serve fresh out of the oven, sliced in half and spread with cream cheese.
1. Leftovers (if any left) can be refrigerated for up to a week
2. Leftovers can be frozen as well - if freezing leftovers, slice bagel ahead of time. Place in toaster and toast for 1 minute.
3. If you have a nut allergy, you can substitute for Gluten-free baking flour instead or Sunflower seed flour (meal) or CarbQuick baking mix
3a. I have also seen other people have baked these with protein powder, instead of Almond flour.
4. If you don't have a microwave, melting ingredients on stove top will work too.
5. Try these bagels as bun or sandwich option - works amazing!