You need: Ingredients for Instant Pot Plov
Rinse and drain rice and set aside. Set Instant pot to sauté on high heat and add oil.
Add beef in a single layer and sauté until lightly browned (5 min), stirring occasionally.
Add butter and chopped onion and stir 5 minutes until softened.
Add julienned carrots along with all seasonings and sauté 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
Spread rice evenly over the top (do not stir).
Push garlic head, halfway into the rice.
Pour warm (or hot) water directly over the rice.
Use the back of a wooden spoon to poke 4-5 holes through the rice to the bottom of the pot (this helps disburse flavor).
Cover, seal the vent and cook on high pressure for 30 min. Let instant pot rest and naturally depressurize 10 min before switching to the venting position to release steam.
Remove garlic head and discard. Stir rice well to combine all of the plov together.
- 1 pound beef, cubed - you can select beef chuck, sirloin or beef stew meat
- 2 1/2 cups short-grain or long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp oil (olive oil or avocado oil), more if needed
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 large carrots, julienned
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 garlic head (unpeeled)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/'2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground onion
- 1-2 TBSP freshly chopped parsley or freshly chopped green onion to garnish (optional)
- Note: If you don't have all the above spices individually, you can get the Plov spice mix specifically for Pilaf (or any Eastern European supermarket should sell it).
I use organic long-grain brown rice (I buy the “Wellsley Farms” brand bag sold at Bj's).
DO NOT USE quick-cooking rice
If cooking white rice (Jasmine or Basmati is great), set the cooking time to 15 minutes
You can squeeze the garlic cloves back into the pot because they are melt in your mouth delicious. (optional)
Alternative to cooking with the whole garlic head - you can add 3-4 garlic cloves, minced